Monday, January 21, 2019

Sigma Art AF135/1.8 for Canon EF

"The cult Canon EF 135 mm f2L USM in the frame centre was able to reach 43.2 lpmm at most. The Sigma A 135 mm f/1.8 DG HSM reached 44.1 lpmm on the edge of full frame, when wide open. Do I have to say anything more? Once again we award the Sigma our „Editor’s Choice of Lenstip.com” badge." - www.lenstip.com

Interfoto has their annual January sales and I stumbled upon a used Canon EF 135/2 L USM and a used Sigma Art AF135/1.8, both on offerings at 25% off their list used price. Not wanting to pay the price of a new lens, and also not willing to pay Canon price for  what is actually a "dated" lens compared to the Sigma's newer line up of Art series lenses. Another option is the Samyang 135/2.0, but it's a manual lens.

So I opted for the Sigma instead in LN condition (Grade 2, 1 being New In the Box) at 25% off wo the box. It's one hefty lens. Back in my Nikon days I used to carry around  AF DC-Nikkor 135/2.0. I loved it's Defocus Image Control technology for portraiture and general tight landscape. It's perspective was also very pleasing.

I'm not sure if I'll every be doing any portraiture with this Sigma 135mm, the original intention is for shooting wide field constellation. Judging by it's girth and weight I may have to use the counter weight to load this lens (and camera) onto the Star Adventurer.

Test shots from the porch:

f/1.8

f/5.6

f/11.0

f/11.0

f/16.0


I promised myself at the end of 2018 that I will not be acquiring anymore lenses since lately with the current acquisitions I'm back to my year 2000 lens line-up. The only difference that this time round it is not exclusively all Nikon lenses.

Will I be getting anymore lenses? I think not ... what could I possibly need which I don't already have! One last acquisition is perhaps a Sony A7R ... because it's cheap considering the technology that it packs in, and because I definitely can't very well afford the Sony A7R III which is it's latest incarnation at NOK32,000!!!

No comments: