Tuesday, January 1, 2019

New Year Clouds in moving pictures

These videos highlight the sensor dust problem more eloquently. There's no spotting facility in my current video making software, which doesn't make cleaning spots in post processing any easier. So for now until I've worked up enough courage to fiddle any where near the sensor, I have to live with the awful dirt on my sensors!

Sony A7S


Canon 6D

Sensor cleaning : Wet and dry method


Note to self:
"Garnett Leary

I do astro-modifications to dslrs. I’ll add that it being referred to as “sensor cleaning” is wrong. 99% of people call it that, even the products meant for cleaning. You never actually touch the sensor. Mounted in front of your sensor is your low pass filter. That is what you are cleaning. I guess it would just be confusing to call it a low pass cleaning kit.

Anyway, the reason highly evaporative cleaning solutions must be used is that if you oversaturate you stand a chance of actually having liquid enter between the filter and the sensor. Unless you’re a technician you’re pretty much done at that point. Regardless, the wand never actually touches the sensor. I’m not sure anyone cares about this point but a low pass filter replacement part is around $100. That might help convince people to try cleaning it themselves. The actual sensor underneath it is around 70% of your cameras value however. Venture there with a wand and you may as well throw it in the trash or post on eBay for parts not working.

If you’re interested you can see me removing the low pass filter from two different cameras on my channel. It’s essentially there to prevent redeye but for us astro guys it blocks hydrogen alpha transmission. I’m just rambling on now. Great video tho. It’s only scary the first time but far less so when you realize you never touch the sensor. Clear skies."

No comments: