Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Summicron 35/2 by the Pale Moonlight

I just couldn't resist it ... the Sony A7S is and has been my main low light night sky shooter since 2016, Summicron 35mm is an f/2 Leica lens I acquired back in 2003. I had to try both outdoors in the dark shooting the night sky. The moon was high up, there were scattered but interesting looking winter clouds about all competing with the bright grandeur of the moon.

It took a while for me to suss out the proper infinity mark required to get the stars relatively in focus, I hit the sweet spot on the Summicron at marker "8 m" or "25 feet". Different lenses has a different point where stars focussed perfectly. Samyang 8/3.5 for example hits it right in the middle of infinity. It varies for each lens and manufacturer.

I shot at f/2.8, Iso 2000, at 1sec, WB 3200K.








This last shot is actually a stitchy of 6 individual shots and cropped. Notice the break at the bottom of the image.

On nights like these I'm always reminded of a joker before he became The Joker , "Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale mooonlight?"  I think  I have on several occasions. That time poling down Sg Selungo from Long Siut to Long Tungan braving roaring rapids and evading boulders in the rain in a fully loaded rickety wooden sampan in complete darkness (Dec 2009). Another time, a vertical drop straight into Sg Lawas in the middle of the night resulting from a misstep at the boatlanding (Feb 2011). Or holding on to the helideck perimeter fence when the MV Resolution was bounced up and then down by 25m waves at sea during the Mt Pinatubo explosion (June 1991).

No comments: