Saturday, January 5, 2019

Leica Screw Mount Summicron 50 f2

Out of the blue while paging through some of my old images from my old defunct website I was reminded of a couple of the old vintage Leica 50mm screwmount lenses which I acquired while in the Netherlands (crazy ebay days) and how they were my favorite out and about glass of choice back then.


LTM Summicron F2

LTM Summitar F2


I still have these lenses including the Leica screwmount bodies, their reincarnations; Voigtlander's Bessa T, Bessa L and Bessa R3A cameras. The only component missing is the efficacy of analogue photography : from my favorite films (Neopan 400, Provia 100), bnw developing chemicals and not to forget time, dedication and commitment on my part. When was the last time I shot/developed films? Quite a long while ago ... it has to be close to 5 years ago by now.

Well, I thought I could revive the use of these lenses again as my out and about lens coupled with the Sony A7S. So I got myself a Metabones L39 to Leica M 50/75 adapter from Interfoto.no. Perhaps put that on the Bessa R for a start and later get the Metabones Leica M to Sony E adapter for some digital takes.

LTMs and the Bessas.


From my early days of Minolta X700+Zykkor70-300/4.5/5.6 (a victim of bait and switch by Camera Exchange of Brooklyn back in 1985) and later Nikon FM2+refurbished AIS50/1.8 ( B&H Photo 1989) during my student days to a fullblown Nikon getup F4s+assorted prime lenses from 1998 onwards I have gone full cycle and back.

Timeline:
1985 - Minolta X700+Zykkor70-300
1990 - Nikon FM2+AIS50
1998 - Nikon F4s+assortment of primes from20mm to 300mm
2001 - Vintage Leicas, Rolleiflexes and assortment of "normal" lenses, MF, LF
2006 - Canon 40d, Sony SLT33
2015 - Canon 6D, 7DMk2, Sony A7S+ assortment of primes from 24mm-600mm
2019 - Sony A7R+Leica vintage 50mms???

We'll soon find out. Honestly I should get off this circular route and explore moving images instead ... but then again I don't expect it to be a full reversion. I'm only attempting to use lenses that I already own and only adding cheap-ish adapters to get it going again.

Looking forward to seeing my favorite look from the Summicron and Summitar when these get their day in the sun again after being dryboxed since 2005!!!


Zuidlaren 804th Paardenmarkt  2004, Leica IIIa+Summitar 50/2





No comments: