Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Sony A7R2 with Nokton 40/1.2 and Leica M Summicron 50/2

My interest in giving these old vintage lenses was again piqued when I found out how a current crop of cinematographers are re-discovering the beauty and unique look of these vintage lenses for the past 5 years or so. There a lively aftermarket for refurbishing and modifying these old lenses to be a part of their current cine lens arsenal. They termed these lenses "cine-modded" lenses.






The motivation is likely straightforward : one is cost (cine lenses break the bank apparently even for a Samyang; a Zeiss Superspeed USD$13,000 vs Contax Zeiss USD$200) and the other is that unique look afforded by some of these classic glasses (dt radioactive Thorium, imperfection in glass design, less than perfect multi-coasting etc). These lenses are very sharp in most cases and desirably "quirky" in many others. "Zeiss bubbles" in the glass element has been touted as positive in some circles.

Though I'm not using these lenses for any dubious cine ambition (though it did cross my mind), I think it's becoming more interesting to fully explore their capability, potential and look with digital cameras and affordable well built adapters. This is especially so in these times of ridiculously expensive and "perfect" new modern lenses. I read somewhere long ago that the glass formula for lenses hasn't really  changed much since Carl Zeiss's  groundbreaking discovery (not sure whether it was glass formula or multi-coating) back the in the 70s or 80s. 

Incidentally, I already own a few of these lenses and I am not averse to acquiring a couple more of these quirky oldies if I have to! I adore them for their look, metal build and heft. Back in the door, naughty colleagues lebelled me doorstop collector.


A7R2 with a fairly recent Nokton M 40/1,2

Image taken at high noon @f2.0 since I can't seem to be sure I was in-focus using focus peaking alone @f1.2


Crop of a section of the above image.


The sun in front of me, leaves taken from the shade @f2.0, same excuse as above.

Crop of a section of the above image.


And here are some samples from my most favorite vintage glass from Leica : Summicron 50/2.0. I think this lens is older than I'm ... I don't think this old Leica M mount lens will be cine-mod anytime soon due to it's design!


Image taken later in the day with the sun low on the horizon @f2.0


Cropped of the image above.


@f2


Crop of the image above.


@f2


Crop of the same image.


@f2


Crop of the same image.

I have a couple of Nikkor-Auto H which has been AI'd which I bought from a bargain bin for EUR30. One of the lenses, the 135/3.5 has fungus on the inside of one of it's lens element, everything else is in perfect condition. This lens has a most pleasing "glow" when shooting in bright sunlight. I also have a Mamiya RB 67 Sekor 90/4 which has the same quality when shot wide open ... when digital backs becomes affordable, I'll bring it out of it's slumber.

I hold that the potential of these lenses should be explored further, and since I already spent numerous after hours and euros acquiring them almost 20 years ago, lets give them another proper go. These should be done if not in still images, maybe with moving images. But I must admit, achieving focus at f2 or f1.2 isn't as easy as it used to be, so bear with me.

No comments: