Saturday, October 2, 2021

THESE OLDIES BUT GOODIES ARRIVED TODAY

 The last 4 straggling deliveries from ebay came in today : a Pentacon from the UK, a Jupiter 37A (underdog) from Ukraine, a Zuiko from Japan, another Takumar from Japan and a Carl Zeiss Jena also from the UK.



Carl Zeiss Jena MC DDR 135/3.5





Olympus Auto-T Zuiko 135/3.5





Asahi Super Multi-coated Takumar 135/2.5 (6 groups in 6 elements)








Russian Jupiter 37A 135/f3.5 M42 mount





The Asahi SuperMulti-coated Takumar 135/3.5, SMC Pentax 135/3.5 and SMC Pentax 135/2.5 (6 groups, 6 elements)


Pentacon Meyer Orestor 135/f2.8 15 blade M42 Bokeh Monster


SMC Pentax 135/2.5 (6 group, 6 element) K Mount (2nd unit in K mount)


 
To top this birthday month off I ordered the last 2 lenses from ebay yesterday : the 15 bladed M42 Pentacon Meyer Orestor and my second unit SMC Pentax 135/2.5. I'm so impressed with the image quality on the SMC Pentax, I just had to have another one.

The vintage old school build quality is possibly most impressively shown in my opinion by the Takumars and SMC Pentax. When you hold them in the palm of your hands, you can feel the superb engineering, commitment to quality and dedication put in to manufacture these lenses. And all of these are evident in the feel, smooth handling, look and most of all the beautiful images they make. After almost 60-70 years, they are still going on strong competing very nicely iamge wise with the perfect no fault modern lenses we have today.

I don't really know why I never owned a Pentax or an Asahi for that matter, I started of my photography with a Minolta X-700, Zykkor and Vivitar lenses while at community college which later progressed to a Nikon FM2 and refurbished USD125 Nikkor 50/1.8 as a graduation present to myself. 

After getting a job and having lost the B&H Photo 34th Street NYC bought FM2 on a double-decker bus in London (wife left it on the bus one Christmas Eve 1995). I went back to Nikon via F4s and stayed with it through 2002, owned many lenses from 20mm to 300mm. I picked up everything else in between from classic Minoltas, Leicas, Mamiyas, Rolleiflexes, Canons, Fujifilms, Horseman 2002-2007 but not a single Pentax or an Asahi made item. I went Canon digital with Canon 40D 2007.

I did dream of owning a Pentax 6x7 medium format, a beast of a camera famously used by Terence Donovan, his with a wooden handgrip, an acclaimed fashion photographer in the 60s and 70s. Terry is a contemporary of  fashion photographer Helmut Newton (my biggest idol, why I collected quite a few Rolleiflexes and still love them). I was never quite sure why I never actually picked up the Asahi Pentax 6x7, however I did go for Mamiya RB67II Pro (used) and made many beloved (personally) with it on film media in B & W.

Oh, well ... it's meant to be maybe : our path crossed again via the SMC Pentax and Takumars on Sony mirrorless cameras. I am so far very happy with the images and the 1080p Youtube test clips they produce. Looking forward to making 4K clips going forward. 

There is however the Minolta Rokkor MD 135/2.8 that still eludes me ... maybe I shut put it to rest till my next birthday!


No comments: