Friday, February 22, 2019

Table top studio

Over the years I've accumulated numerous photographic gear that I seldom useful but almost always am very glad that I have them handy when I needed them. These included flash softbox, led panels, reflector umbrellas, flash units, battery packs and lightstands.

I think it started when I was bitten by the macro bug, shooting macro on site in the dark rainforest of Sarawak was always a struggle. Though I built the collection of tools over many years, the defining objective has always been to be able to shoot that bug or little flower on the forest floor in the end. My attempts haven't been very successful then.

I must have stored subconciously in memory how hard it was at the beginning trying to shoot with one direct flash unit on camera and later 2xflash units off camera and still not getting the desired results I was aiming for. I don't think I have many successful shots of that period either. I let that goal simmer for a long time and focussed on macro in bright daylight.



Looking back I realised that I now have all I needed for that perfect shoot of a bug or gecko with a glint in his eyes lounging on a rotten log in the dark rainforest floor, along a small flowing creek. Except for the fact that I'm now no longer anywhere near a rainforest. Closest I have to a collection of trees is a small park of planted pines behind the house, I know they have horses sometimes (with a rider on top), but I am quite certain that  they don't have geckos there.

Alas all is not all lost. I have set up a small table top studio in the corner of the hobby room. Two lightstands, two led panels, a reflector umbrella, a 50cm softbox are now at the ready if ever I find something interesting to shoot.

When winter passes shortly and spring comes along again, maybe I'll go scouting for spiders or some rare orchids to bring home and photograph.

No comments: