Sunday, February 24, 2019

Be careful what you wished for

"Be careful what you wished for ... you may just get it." I was watching  Submitted For Your Approval, a documentary on Rod Serling of Twilight Zone fame with his voice over in the back. He uttered these exact words reflecting his career as a writer and I was rather struck by it.

These were the exact wise words that I myself used as guide throughout some parts of my ventures all these years. Serling strived hard, reached out for stars and grasped them in his hands then head back to earth to lead a quiet normal life.

The documentary took viewers throughout his early hard writing career to the end, dwelling considerably on his successful Twilight Zone series all the way to his early retirement back to his childhood home in Billington to live a quiet life on a farm. He died at 50 years of age, I hope a happy man.


Rod Serling of Twilight Zone, my most favorite show growing up if there ever was one. I admit I'm still a big fan.


In contrast my life has been rather grounded close to ground except maybe for the first few years of my working career. All the years after the two kids have been rather lack lustre unambitious and unpretentious as far as I can tell. From 5 series BMW in Holland to five star hotel weekends while in Sarawak to commuting on public transport in Norway of all places, I think I deserve the badge "Not changing the world anytime soon".


No comments: