Saturday, May 25, 2019

Spawning fish at Vaulen (could it be Salmon)

Salmon (pronounced samon or laks) is a big thing for those not living in Norway. Locally it's just another part of the wildlife especially for those not involved in the salmon farming industry, government players marketing the salmon to the world or a fishing kaki.

I prefer mackerel myself and have not ventured to fish salmon out of it's natural habitat, so far I have not even been tempted. It's a big regal fish that I think should be left to do it's thing without hindrance.

The other day while out birdwatching and filming shrimps at the fjord near the house I heard some loud splashing in the shallows. Turned around and saw what looked like tails. Is it salmon? It's the right season for a salmon run ... but in the fjord? They normally run up pristine rivers for spawning and those are plentiful slightly further south and north of here.

Maybe I should bring my rods over and try a few casts ... maybe not.





No comments: