Saturday, May 25, 2019

Grey Heron at Vaulen

Grey Heron ... when I first saw them after moving here I said, "Are you here too?".  Back in Miri you see them occasionally at Kua;a Baram Wetlands but not in great numbers.  I saw my first big colony at Kuala Selangor Nature Park.

It's also very common here. Always a nice thing to see it hunt by the shore, ever so patient and deliberate in it's stalking style. I think I have a video recording of it stalking prey in Egersund, that was a big yawn inducer if you are not a birder.

Lately I've been made aware of it's more sinister side which I never expected. There've been several well recorded cases of Grey Heron preying on ducklings and baby waders. Some have been posted on Youtube.

Initially it seemed out of character for a bird of such grace and calculated stalking style but then you realise that this is nature, if you can swallow it, it's food.





No comments: