Friday, June 12, 2009

Mukah's special

If I were to go back to Mukah, it'd definitely be to learn more about the folks there. They are all very friendly and warm. I especially like the folks hanging out at the fish market, very informal and don't seem to mind at all the odd tourist totting a camera. Everyone seems to know everyone else there, reminds me of many more smaller towns I've been to. Actually it reminds me very much of home.


A young chap looking at the boats coming into Batang Mukah.


A tauke buying borong all the fresh lobsters that just came in from a fishing boat.


Proprietors of a makeshift fish stall, waiting for customers.


An elderly gentleman checking out the day's catch. Any other day I would have definitely lug my RB67 and do a proper portrait of these folks one by one.


These folks were checking out the "Pipus", a Melanau's traditional smoked fish paste only made on special occasions and quite rarely at that.


More checking out the pipus on display ... even at $5/piece, the smoked delicacy were sold off within 15 mins. We bought two for curiosity's sake ... an acquired taste indeed.


This gentleman was amused about the Pipus joke. I didn't get it either.


This gentleman was kinda surprised at the quoted price of a fresh ikan keli being sold at the market.


Fish monger special, I have never seen fish goes off the slab so fast. Whatever came in from the boats went within 5 minutes with this guy's special touch. Nice guy to boot.

No comments: