Saturday, November 8, 2008

Seagull? Tern? Gull-billed tern non-breeding?

The minute I saw it on the bino, my heart raced. It's big, it's tall, it stood like a gull. Dang ... a seagull! I raced back to the car, told the kids to wait 15 more minutes while I scrambled to bring out the tripod and the scope.

A couple of lorry drivers piling sand onto flats looked as I was hurrying across the road towards a fallen tree, a cover. I looked back, smiled, executed a small half-hearted wave with my palm and continued my way to the spot.

No, it's not a seagull. It's a large tern. Black legs, black bill, preening. There's no black marking anywhere else on his mantle or head. White chest, light steel gray on the coverts and back of head ... the sloping of the headt to the bill looked weird. I think it's a Gull-billed Tern.

1 comment:

Jason Bugay Reyes said...

it looked like black-naped tern or whiskered tern in non. breeding plumage ba :)