Sunday, January 23, 2022

How a USD10 shim makes a USD200 Jib and Bicycle stand add value

 Last year at exactly around the same time, I was focussed on making my motorised slider to work. I managed to make two sliders which enabled me to add a more dynamic videos not too many but proof of concept videos worked well). It was rather exhilarating to put the various arts together to work.

This year I decided to add more by getting myself an 8 ft Jib from Proaim, it was on a wishlist for at least 12 months. I wanted a shorter version however the shiping cost was cheaper for the longer unit (NOK100 vs NOK 800 just for shipping).

Incidentally just before the end of 2021 I purchased a Fischer bike stand for bike assembly and maintenance.

I figure I can use the two together as part of my repertoire of tools to add more dynamic sequences to my videos. A lighstand can only take up 5-8kg of load, a bike stand can be pushed to endure 35-50kg load, so the choice was kind of obvious.

Putting the Proaim 8 ft jib and Fischer bike stand took 2xseat post shims to make it work. Originally I thought of cutting up a metal seatost as an adapter, fortunately thanks to Amazon I found 2xseatpost shims (USD10/unit) which can do the same intended task.

Theoretically now the jib can execute u and down motion as well as side to side movements. This saves me a fluid head if I had chosen to mount the jib onto a tripod.Hopefully the desired motion is smooth and not jaggy.



 


Proaim 8 ft jib, well constructed at USD106, can be broken up into 2 key pieces for portability. The stand and counter weight is not included.



Fischer bike stand, hefty stand weighing in at 7kg, can withstand up to 40kg and foldable at USD60.<



Two aluminium seat post shims connecting the jib and the bikestand.




Motorised slider in use back in May 2021.


No comments: