Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A blast with Aurora in the backyard

The past few nights (March 14th -March 16th) has been a blast where the aurora was concerned. Predicted CMEs came as predicted, the nights has been awesome starting early on the 14th and peaking probably the morning of 16th.

This time around I decided to skip the usual beach location down in Sele, as well the Skien site which gets brighter every night with the tunnel work. Just on a whim on the first night, I decided to pop by Trolleskogen, a wooded recreation park near the house. During the day it's popular with family picnickers, joggers and dogwalkers, however at night it was practically empty. On these winter nights you can be sure that it's even less used.

My hunch was rewarded, the sighting spot is slightly elevated and slopes down to the rocky coast. so the fisrt two nights I spent recording from Trolleskogen, 2 m from where the car was parked. On the thrid night I ventured further down the rocky coast and found a gem of a place ... complete with swans, pine trees and rocks. It spot is along a walking trail, but who's walking in the dead of a cold winter's night anyways. I had the spot all to myself ...

March 14th

March 14th

March 15th

March 15th

March 15th 

March 16th

March 16th

March 16th
March 15th

March 15th

March 16th


Watch the recorded aurora video on youtube.

No comments: