Saturday, September 18, 2021

VINTAGE LENS NIPPON KOGAKU NIKKOR-Q AUTO 135MM F3.5

Today I took the opportunity presented by an overcast end of summer early autumn day to make a short video using a Nippon Kogaku-Q Auto 135/3.5 I acquired (picked up from a bargain bin in Hoogeven) almost 20 years ago today. I shot quite a bit with it on film camera when I first acquired it, now and again whenever nostalgia comes over me. I think I also conducted a small test shots using the Sony A7S a few years back.

This morning I attached it to a Sony A7R2 (using K&F Concept Pro Nikon-Sony E Adapter) and recorded some footages around the garden at f3.5. The day was overcast with some light but not too jarring, the breeze was gently moving amongst the leaves.


Dancing leaves on an overcast early autumn day.


This lens is dear to me simply because it's not a perfect lens. It's has what looks like a thin film of oil (from the aperture blades) or fungus spreading thinly over the front elements on the inside of the lens. This produces a "glowing" effect" when shooting against the sunlight. I remember noticing the "glowing" elephants I shot at Emmen Zoo when we visited with Ali and Aisya. The kids they were still babies then.

I'm going back to these old vintage lenses that I've collected over the years, most if not all of these gems were collected while we were living in the Netherlands, I was an ebay addict then. This was also during the period of the changeover from analogue to digital, I myself dumped quite a few (if not all) of my Nikon AF lenses to support "back to the glorious analogue past" habit. 

I hope to make a few more footages over the next few months/years.

Incidentally I've acquired 6 more 135mm vintage lenses off ebay.com and finn.no in the past 7 days, and 1x 28mm:

Vivitar 135/2.8 Nikon AIS Mount from Oslo
Nikkor AI 135/3.5 from Japan
Asahi Pentax SMC 135/2.5 K Mount from Japan
Pentacon Electric MC 135/2,8 M42 Mount
Jupiter-37A 135/3.5 M42 Mount
Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 28/3.5 M42 Mount from the USA
Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 135/3.5 M42 Mount

All vintage lenses from a bygone era, some making a well-deserved comeback into the digital cine world.

No comments: