Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Dalsnuten, Lost in the Fog

The intention was good. I left the house around 4am and reached the parking lot by 4.30am and I was only the second parked there. The other car must have belonged to the fellas taking up on of the cabins across the road. The intention today was to hiked in early and get a timelapse view over the city as the fog rises.

It's 4:45 am by the time I reached the foot of the trail, already I wasn't able to see 20 feet in front of me, not just because of the fog but also it's still dark, sunrise isn't happening for another 2hours. And I did not bring a torch. Making do with light from the handphone is snaked my way around what seemed to be a trail heading out to some silhouette of trees in the distance.

The trail lost an hour later I scrambled up the hill through some long grass and wet patches and soon rediscovered the main trail. By this time Dalsnuten is still nowhere to be seen. By 8am it's still surrounded by thick fog. The whole area was enveloped in gray mist. It's not dark, yet it's not yet light. It's a gray zone in the middle, it shifted with the breeze but never leaving the area. Trees and mounts of rock appears and disappears steeped in quietness. Occasionally the birds chirped.

By 11:00 am I started to hear voices of other hikers. There were still not visuals further than 50 feet. Then I saw a lone hiker on a trail below me, hunkered down briskly moving forward step after step intent on conquering the trail ahead.

By 12:00 Dalsnuten still hasn't come into view. Before more hikers started to appear I decided to leave the area. I descended Eiknuten following the main trail, still in the fog.

I wasn't sure what time the fog finally lifted, when I finally reached home, Dalsnuten was still in the thick embrace of the gray fog. It persisted throughout the entire day.








 



 


 

No comments: